From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Schwan, Phil
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:16 AM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] RE: Instructions for a team member to properly figure out
which drivers to add to boot wim when new model comes in

The vast majority of your machines are going to come preloaded with an OEM
Windows OS that includes all of the drivers.  I would typically boot that as
soon as I received it, go into Device Manager, and record the Hardware ID for
the mass storage controller and NIC at a minimum (usually audio, display and a
few other usual suspects as well). Once you have the Hardware ID, you can do a
text search of the .inf driver files you already have included and see if it is
already included.

If you have command prompts support in your boot image (which you should), you
can also use the drvload utility
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766390(v=ws.10).aspx) to test
drivers and find the one that works best.

Hope that helps!

-Phil
Phil Schwan | Technical Architect, Enterprise Windows Services
Project Leadership Associates | 2000 Town Center, Suite 1900, Southfield, MI
48075
Lync: 312.756.1626  Mobile: 419.262.5133
www.projectleadership.net<http://www.projectleadership.net/>
Leverage Technology. Deliver Results.
[linkedin_logo-19x20]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/philschwan>[Twitter-Logo1-20x20]<https://twitter.com/philschwan>
 [wordpress-logo3] <http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/philschwan>