We recently installed a new SCCM 2012 site and ran into an odd problem.  When
we set up the site backup in maintenance we simply chose a local drive letter
for the destination.  This was a bad mistake and so I wanted to warn others not
to do the same thing.  As it was pointed out to us by Microsoft support:

“Local drive on
site server for site data and database: Specifies that the backup files for the
site and
site database are stored in the specified path on the local disk drive of the
site server. You must
create the local folder before the backup task runs”

From:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712697.aspx#BKMK_BackupMaintenanceTask

Section: “To Enable the site backup maintenance task”

Since we missed that requirement, and found that  smsbackup.exe creates a
folder for itself (sitecodeBackup), we just assumed that backup folder on the
root drive would be sufficient.  What is not explained in the TechNet
instruction is WHY one must create the local folder.  The backup program will
change that local folder's permissions when it creates the sitecodeBackup
folder under it!  Those changes remove rights for CREATOR OWNER and the local
Users group and this was preventing access to the root of the drive we were
using.

Of course, we didn't know that smsbackup.exe was doing that, and it took some
bit of security log auditing to find out how the permissions were getting
changed and then more time to find out what we could do about it.

I've asked Microsoft support to get the TechNet article updated to add an
explanation to the instruction that security permissions will be set by the
backup which I believe will reinforce the importance of creating that folder!
The section states "DRIVE" and then throws that last bit in at the end, which I
think makes it easy to miss.

Anyway, I hope this will help other noobies setting up SCCM 2012.

Russell Johnson