Yes.. there are several steps that need to be done.
https://www.enhansoft.com/blog/how-to-rename-a-windows-server-when-sql-server-and-wsus-are-already-installed

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Corkill, Daniel
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 5:44 PM
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [mssms] SQL considerations when renaming site server as part of OS
upgrade

I'm currently planning to migrate our site server to Server 2016 from 2008 R2
by building up a new box and doing a site restore. I'm building up the new box
with a temp name and IP and prior to the CM installation I will turn off the
old box and rename the new box to match. I'm not sure how SQL will go - do I
need to do anything with it after renaming the server? (SQL Server 2012 SP3).

Daniel.

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended only for
the addressee and may be confidential, private or the subject of copyright. If
you have received this email in error please notify Logan City Council, by
replying to the sender or calling +61 7 3412 3412  and delete all copies of the
e-mail and any attachments.

To view Logan City Council's Privacy Collection Notice, please visit
www.logan.qld.gov.au<http://www.logan.qld.gov.au> or click on the following
link http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/home/terms-of-use.