Hi

I saw there was some discussion on this topic, but it looks as if there
never was a defnite answer. There was a reference to Andre Delavy making a
RGB to SVGA connector does anybody know if he did? (Giovanni Nunes and
Fronteddu Stefano (later) made this reference) There was also a few comments
on the rgb to vga adapter by Novatec ( http://novatec-msx.da.ru/  )
Is looked at a few documents on the web and also at what the
amiga guys did. Not that I know muck about electronics - I can solder
circuits if I am told how, but that is basicaly it. (I do not quite follow
the
circuits of the Novatec project but they do look great!)

This is what I found and concluded:

First:         a RGB signal output is a must - most msx's have rgb output or
                it can easily be added!
                (see Hans Ottens home page - rgb on a svi-738(msx2 video
                chip) http://www.geocities.com/msxhans/

Second:    Both the vertical and horizontal sync must be seperated from the
                composite sync.
                True some monitors will accept composite sync in the
                horisontal sync - but not all!!

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/vgamonitor.html
                A proposed seperator circuit is as follows, using a LM1881N
                chip:(syncseperator.gif)

                Here the Hsync is actualy still composite sync and must be
                rectified still with the following circuit:
                    |--------------|----------------------  Composite
Composite  ----|         \              | AND  |o--------  Hsync
 Vsync    -------|         /              |-----/
                    |    |-----/

                    |-------------------------------------  Vsync

                    Using a chip like EL4583 will give you true hsync and
                    vsync and make all simpler.

Third:        Connect Red, Green, Blue and Ground to the corrseponding vga
                 pins
                (VGA 15pin : red = pin 1, green = pin 2, blue = pin 3,
ground
                = pin 5-8, 10, 11)

Fourth:    Connecting the Hsync and Vsync
                (Here I believe the trouble starts.) For the amiga I found
                two different solutions:
   1>    Using a BC549 Transistor
            http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~andreash/com/a-vga.html
            Amiga                BC549 (C   B   E)                     VGA
                                                    |     |     |
            +5v        -----------------+    |     |
            Hsync    ------/\/\/\/\----------+   +-----------+--> Hsync
(p13)
                                  100Ohm                                   |
                                       +-----------/\/\/\/\/\---------+
                                        |                 560Ohm
            Ground    --------+------------------------------> Ground (pin
4,5,6,7,8,10,11)

            Vsync    -----------------------------------------> Vsync (p14)

2>    Using a 74HCT08 (used by commodore) or 74LS04 IC (low power TTL-level
         inverter)
        +5v to the inverter chip with a 0.1 uF ceramic decoupling cap
        between +5v and ground
        Connect Hsync and Vsync via the IC to VGA
        http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/vgamonitor.html

Hopefully this might work or help. I have not tried it yet but will as soon
as I
get my hands on  the components.

JP GROBLER
+27 11 957 3457 (tel/fax)
+27 82 293 2795
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Grobler;JP
FN:JP Grobler
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+27 11 957 3457
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+27 82 570 2576
TEL;WORK;FAX:+27 11 957 3457
TEL;HOME;FAX:+27 11 957 3457
ADR;WORK:;;;;;;South Africa
LABEL;WORK:South Africa
ADR;HOME:;;Plot Rietfontein 288;Muldersdrift;Gauteng;1747;South Africa
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Plot Rietfontein 288=0D=0AMuldersdrift, Gauteng 1747=0D=0ASouth Africa
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20000712T115302Z
END:VCARD

syncseparator.gif