This item from the Telugu Portal at
http://www.teluguportal.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=17237 may be of
interest. I read it thinking of the potential for machine translation
facilitate work and various kinds of communication across diverse languages
in various regions of the "developing world." (I was alerted to this article
by RSS from Kwintessential Cross Cultural News:
http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/crossculturalnews/ )

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net
PanAfrican Localisation project

Nation: Translation industry has vast potential in India: Pitroda
Posted by admin on 2006/10/11 10:00:12

New Delhi, Oct 11 (IANS) The translation industry has the potential to
generate more than 500,000 jobs in India, and necessary recommendations
would be made to exploit the potential, said Knowledge Commission Chairman
Sam Pitroda Wednesday.

"We are working towards strengthening the translation industry by opening
state-run training institutions and then open it for the private sector,"
Pitroda said at a discussion organised by the Confederation of Indian
Industry (CII) here.

"The translation industry in India has been neglected so far. India is a
diverse country and we don't understand each other's culture or languages.
Why can't a Bengali work be translated into a Gujarati work?" he queried.

"That's the only way knowledge can be truly imparted."

Pitroda said the entire education system in India needed a complete
overhauling - right from government-run schools to institutions of higher
education - since education was becoming a privilege for the few who could
afford it.

He added that the Knowledge Commission - set up by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh in 2005 - has given a set of 10 recommendations in this regard to the
government and another set of 10 suggestions would be made in a couple of
months.

"Our recommendations cover areas like increasing the number of universities
to 1,500 from 350 in the next few years. We have also given recommendations
on libraries, affirmative action, language, translations, literacy and
programmes," said Pitroda.

He hoped the recommendations would trigger wide debates in society, and
said: "I want criticism to arise because that is how there will be change in
people's mindsets, which is very important for the country to develop."

Pitroda - who led India's telecommunications revolution of the 1980s and
headed the Technology Mission that covered areas like drinking water and
edible oils - said the government had accepted the commission's paper on
e-governance.

The Chicago-based technocrat-entrepreneur - who is also part of a UN
committee to help push technology across the globe in the 21st century -
said India had a long way to go before it could call itself a superpower.