Hello world,

the 3rd WMT shared task on quality estimation, which basically consists of
submitting an MT metric that does not use the reference (only the source
and hypothesis) is still open! The deadline and submission procedure are
the same as for regular reference-using (boring) metrics; see Ondrej's
links for the submissions to score and the document to describe your
submission duplicated below. *Deadline: May 25th*.

Although "metrics without references" sounds like usual QE (predict quality
using source and hypothesis), the key difference is that multiple MT
systems produce the hypotheses that you score, so we expect this evaluation
to move QE away from fitting models to a particular MT system and force
them to generalize better.

We especially encourage QE task 1 and 2 participants to apply their already
trained models to English-Russian and English-German news translations from
task 3 -- after all, if HTER/MQM do not correlate at least somewhat with
human understanding of MT quality, then something is wrong. Standalone
submissions to task 3 for any translation directions are of course also
encouraged!

So, submit a referenceless metric and show BLEU (and TER and CHRF and etc)
that single-reference problems can be solved with no-reference!
(fingers crossed).

Ondrej's info on submitting metrics (both reference-free or
reference-dependent) is below.

Best wishes (and good luck with WMT papers),
Mark