Call for Participation

Similar Language Translation Task at WMT 2021 (co-located with EMNLP 2021)

The training/dev sets are available. The test data will be released on July
12, 2021.
Please visit the website for more information.

Task Description

With the widespread use of MT technology, there is more and more interest
in training systems to translate between languages other than English
(e.g. pairs of similar languages or dialects). The main challenge here is
how to take advantage of the similarity between languages to overcome the
limitation given the low amount of available parallel data to produce an
accurate output.

Given the interest of the community in this topic we organize, for the
third time at WMT, the shared task on "Similar Language Translation" to
evaluate the performance of state-of-the-art translation systems on
translating between pairs of languages from the same language family. This
year we provide participants with training and testing data in multiple
language pairs from three language families listed below. Evaluation will
be carried out using automatic evaluation metrics and human evaluation.

Language Pairs

This year we have multiple pairs of similar languages from three language
families.

- Dravidian languages: Tamil - Telugu
- Romance languages: Catalan, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian.
- French to two similar low-resource Manding languages: Bambara and
Maninka. Parallel training data is only available in Bambara.

Important Dates

Test data released - July 12, 2021
Submission deadline - July 19, 2021
System description paper deadline - August 5, 2021
Camera-ready - September 15, 2021
WMT and EMNLP 2021 - November 10-11, 2021

Organizers

Farhad Akhbardeh, Rochester Institute of Technology
Marta Costa-jussà, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Magdalena Biesialska, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Christopher Homan, Rochester Institute of Technology
Santanu Pal, Wipro AI Lab
Marcos Zampieri, Rochester Institute of Technology

Contact

martaruizcostajussa(at)gmail.com