> - Use device capabilities to tell the syncengine which fields one device
> does support and use this information to merge the data. This approach
> can be complicated and afaik one of the members of the OMA has a patent
> on this approach.

I think that's pretty much what I suggested but in different words.
However I dont think it would be awfully difficult provided we can
get hold of a decent vcard parser (perhaps the tricky part).
Once the individual VCARD fields are isolated then most of the work is done.
The sync engine then simply has to splice together the corresponding
vcard fields from each device to make the new vcard record.

> - Use a archive. A archive is a sync source which is accessible only by
> the syncengine and it must support a format which can store all fields
> from all members. When a member synchronize, he always gets merged with
> the archive. This way the archive contains all informations and never
> looses it just because a member cannot support a field.

I am puzzled why you think this will help!!!!
Archive or not, the device still needs to tell the sync engine which
vcard fields it supports. So how does having an archive help that?

--
Stewart Heitmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>