BREAKING NEWS: LAPD Shelves Muslim Mapping Plan

By Peter Prengaman

LOS ANGELES (AP
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_re_us/lapd_muslims> ) Nov. 14,
2007 - A police plan to map out Muslim communities, a proposal that civil
rights groups sharply criticized as racial and religious profiling, has been
shelved, a police spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The LAPD planned to have its counterterrorism bureau identify Muslim
enclaves to determine which might be likely to become isolated and
susceptible to "violent, ideologically based extremism."

Several Muslim groups and the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern
California criticized the plan and sent a letter to Deputy Chief Michael P.
Downing expressing their concerns.

"There was a clear message from the Muslim community that they were not
comfortable with it. So we listened," said Mary Grady, spokeswoman for the
Los Angeles Police Department. She couldn't immediately say when the plan
might resume.

Grady said the remaining part of the initiative, which includes outreach
efforts to strengthen ties with Muslim communities, would continue, and
police planned to meet with Muslim leaders Thursday.

In a statement, Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Muslim Public
Affairs Council, praised the decision.

"I am glad to hear (Downing) is putting the plan aside," Al-Marayati said.
"All Muslim organizations are united in purpose to defend the rights of
Muslim Americans while developing a positive and constructive relationship
with the LAPD."

Downing and other city officials had defended the plan, saying the idea was
to deepen ties with Muslim communities. The plan would have had data
assembled by the University of Southern California's Center for Risk and
Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events.

There are an estimated 500,000 Muslims in Los Angeles, Orange and Riverside
counties.

-------------------------

Fair Use Notice

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material
available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental,
political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice
issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such
copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
(See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.) If you wish to use
copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond
'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.