Best Way to Fight Hatred -- Allow it to Come Out from Under the Rocks
By Ray Hanania
www.NAAJA-US.com

(al-Sahafiyeen) Dec. 5, 2007 - The most fascinating thing to come out of the
Journalism Conference hosted in East Jerusalem by the National Arab American
Journalists Association (see a full report at www.NAAJA-US.com/Con2007.html) is
that fighting censorship is more important than stopping "hate" speech.

For example, that insightful (not insightful) radio talk show host Don Imus has
returned to the airwaves does not bother me so much. Everyone has a right to
express themselves, but the most important freedom is the ability to be able to
respond to expressions that are hateful. When Imus crossed the line, the Rev.
Al Sharpton galvanized African Americans and pushed him off radio. They
embarrassed him and forced him to apologize -- something he would never have
done had he not feared losing his job. He did lose his job, but now he is back
ont he air.

What is wrong about Imus, though, is that the media ignores hate-speech from
media people like him. Imus can defame Arabs and Muslims with impunity because
1) Rev. Al Sharpton isn't going to stand up and oreganize a campaign to force
him off the airwaves over that kind of hate speech, and 2), more importantly
maybe, Arab Americans are not strong enough to protest and force him off the
air when he does slander Arabs and Muslims, a special kind of racism involving
ethnic discrimination and religious discrimination.

The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), one of the most important
organizations defending the civil rights of Muslims in America, is slandered
all the time. But they have clout and were able to organize a campaign against
the hate speech of another radio talk show host who is a good example of the
double standard in American media. Michael Savage constantly savages Arabs and
Muslims all the time, sometimes creatively and offering criticism that is
solid, but just as often irresponsibly and excessively to the point of racism
and bigotry.

But Rev. Al Sharpton is not going to organize a campaign against Savage. CAIR
did and Savage is now suing them, not for their criticism but because they
linked a collage of his most hateful speech into an audio blast available ont
heir web site. When you listen to what Savage has said -- he insists it is
taken out of context (but then, so did Imus at first) -- it is the most ugly,
reprehensible hate speech imaginable. (FYI from `Aishah: Savage has now sued
CAIR)

The target of Savage's hate speech is Arabs and Muslims. And the driving force
behid it is the Arab-Israeli conflict and the high tolerance for anti-Arab and
anti-Muslim hate speech that the conflict has nurtured; in contrast, the
Arab-Israeli conflict has done the opposite for Jewish Americans, making almost
anything critical of Israel considered, wrongly, "anti-Semitic."

But who wants to stand up and defend Arab rights in the face of criticizing
Israel or Israel's supporters. Their demise would be worse than that of Imus's
trials and tribulations over the past many months.

The journalism conference addressed these topics head on. Palestinians and
Israelis, talking about the issues of hate speech and censorship. Palestinian
and Israeli participants alike actually all agreed that censorship of any kind
is wrong. Good rises to the top and hate speech eventually is exposed because
the majority of audiences are intelligent people who can tell the difference.
They don't need some hate speech watchdog to decide who is and who isn't
reciting hatred in their speech.

I agree with that. Imus should be allowed to slander and defame Arabs and
Muslims. So should Savage. And others like them, too. But the public has a
right to decide what is hateful and what is not, and then stand up and protest,
and complain and hold the haters' feet to the fires of public outrage.

I think Arab Americans need to do more to stand up to hate speech. As much as I
criticize the mainstream American media for standing by idly while anti-Arab
and anti-Muslim hate speech spews in newspaper columns, radio and TV shows, the
fact is it is the responsibility of the victims and targets of hate speech to
organize and show the public why the comments are hateful. That's our job.

It's hard, granted, when the state of the Arab American and Muslim media is in
constant disarray. The Society of Professional Journalists has given Arab and
Muslim Americans an opportunity to express themselves in this blog. Many Arab
and Muslim American journalists are not freelancxers like me so they fear that
participating will cost their careers. And the ethnic Arab and Muslim media
still lives in the dark ages, somewhat, focusing only on politics and failing
to address the real challenges including fully and completely and without
inhibition or taboos report on their own community truthfully -- stop being
advocates.

Khaled Abu-Aker, the editor of the Arabic Media Internet Network
(www.AMIN.org), explained during the first panel discussion on the power of
Internet Media, that he began in journalism as an activist -- so did I in 1975
-- but he soon realized that the real responsibility of a professional
journalist is to report the truth, regardless of how they feel about it. That
their goal should not be to mobolize their communities by managing the
reporting (as is done often in most Arab and Muslim World media -- and in the
mainstream American media, too ... hey, I did criticize all sides here), but
rather to mobilize by accuracy, fairness and truthfulness in journalistic
behavior.

Khaled spoke out against censorship -- although when you hear his story of how
he was oppressed by the Israeli military occupation censors as a journalist
with the East Jerusalem Palestinian newspaper al-Fajr in the 1980s, you will
understand.

Journalists from the Jerusalem Post, Chicago Tribune, McClatchy Newspapers,
Haaretz, NAAJA, AMIN.org or other publications like Palestine-Israel Journal
(www.PIJ.org) and Search for Common Ground, and MidEastYouth.com, came together
and left agreeing on many things. But their most important conclusion was that
Palestinian and Israeli journalists must come together more often and dedicate
themselves to professional journalism, rather than to activism which uses
journalism as a front.

I hope the Society of Professional Journalists one day picks up this challenge
and helps these two groups of journalists come together, overcome the pressures
of the high tension political conflicts, and act as one as professional
journalists.

FYI:
      Savage Sues Muslim Group

      December 3, 2007

      Nationally syndicated radio host Michael Savage has filed a lawsuit
against CAIR, the Counsel on American-Islamic Relations, charging that the
Muslim group has misused copyright material from his show.

      The group, which identifies itself as the nation's leading watchdog group
protecting the rights of Muslims, has used clips of Savage's radio show to
raise funds and to get supporters to demand Savage's sponsors cease advertising
on his "Savage Nation" broadcasts.

      Savage's show which originates in San Francisco, California reaches over
eight million listeners per week, according to the lawsuit. The suit adds that
his Web site MichaelSavage.com receives 2.3 million page views per month.

      In the suit he alleges that instead of being what it claims to be - a
civil rights organization - it is actually a political organization "designed
to advance a political agenda that is directly opposed to the existence of a
free society that includes respect and dignity for all people and all
religions.

      "The copyright infringement herein is part of this plan. CAIR's
fundamental purpose is to be a lobbyist for foreign interests," an allegation
that the lawsuit backs up with numerous examples of CAIR's activities.

      In a Nov. 1, 2007 statement CAIR, which described itself as "A prominent
national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group" urged "radio listeners of all
faiths to contact companies that advertise on Michael Savage's
nationally-syndicated radio program to express their concerns about the host's
recent anti-Muslim tirade.

      CAIR charged that Savage "screamed attacks on Muslims, Islam, and the
Quran, Islam's revealed text, during his Oct. 29, 2007, program," and claimed
that an unspecified number of concerned listeners contacted the group CAIR
about Savage's alleged attacks on Islam."

      CAIR cited what it called "Savage's shouted anti-Muslim attacks," using
copyrighted material from that show: "I'm not gonna put my wife in a hijab. And
I'm not gonna put my daughter in a burqa. And I'm not getting on my all-fours
and braying to Mecca. And you could drop dead if you don't like it. You can
shove it up your pipe. I don't wanna hear anymore about Islam. I don't wanna
hear one more word about Islam. Take your religion and shove it up your behind.
I'm sick of you."

      "What kind of religion is this? What kind of world are you living in when
you let them in here with that throwback document in their hand, which is a
book of hate. Don't tell me I need re-education. They need deportation. I don't
need re-education. Deportation, not re-education. You can take C-A-I-R and
throw 'em out of my country. I'd raise the American flag and I'd get out my
trumpet if you did it. Without due process. You can take your due process and
shove it."

      "What sane nation that worships the U.S. Constitution, which is the
greatest document of freedom ever written, would bring in people who worship a
book that tells them the exact opposite. Make no mistake about it, the Quran is
not a document of freedom. The Quran is a document of slavery and chattel. It
teaches you that you are a slave."

      It further used Savage's material by including a link to an audio of what
it called "these and other bigoted statements by Savage," and advised readers
to click on the URL http://www.cair.com/audio/savage_102907.asp.

      The lawsuit further alleges that "CAIR repackaged the content of Michael
Savage's show and manipulated that stolen content so that it could be used by
CAIR to raise funds. Little or none of the money raised went to alleged "civil
rights" activities."

      The lawsuit's allegations conclude that "the theft of Michael Savage's
copyrighted material and the destruction of the proper context of that material
is yet another tactic to silence critics of CAIR. CAIR was specifically and by
name attacked by Michael Savage in his October 29, 2007 statement but CAIR did
not contest the truth of Savage's attack on CAIR but instead sought to steal
and sully his copyrighted work.

      The suit, and CAIR's alleged copyright violation should be of concern to
all engaged in producing creative material,

      Savage tells NewsMax.