Bismillah

From: Ayesha Mattu - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:33 PM

Subject: Reminder: Literary pitch deadline approaching 1/15/08

>>Please forward widely<<

Salaam and warm greetings of peace dear friends,

This is a reminder that the deadline to submit a pitch for the American Muslim
women's anthology is next Tuesday, January 15, 2008.

If you have not yet written your pitch, it's not too late! At this time we are
requesting a simple 2-3 paragraph pitch outlining the highlights of your story.

For more information please see the call for stories, frequently asked
questions and sample pitch below. This is a wonderful opportunity for women to
raise their voices and tell their own stories and we request your help in
ensuring that we include a diversity of perspectives.

Please forward this reminder to your network and I look forward to receiving
and reading your pitch!

All inquiries should be sent directly to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you!

Warmly,

Ayesha

In-line attachments below:

* Call for Stories

* FAQs

* Sample Pitch

CALL FOR STORIES from Muslim Women

Announcing a call for non-fiction, personal stories by American Muslim women on
courtship and/or dating to be published in an anthology.

We are looking for talented writers to pitch well-written, surprising and
compelling anecdotes for a book on loving and looking for love while Muslim.

WHY A BOOK ABOUT COURTSHIP/DATING?

There is a stereotype about Muslim women out there that does not show them as
the thinking, feeling, lively people with loving hearts and independent minds
that we know them to be. Partially, this is because there just aren’t enough
real-life stories about Muslim women being told by Muslim women themselves.

The purpose of this collection is to take control of our narrative by telling
our own stories, emphasizing the humanity we all share and celebrating the
quirks that make us unique. We hope to do that through stories about
courtship/dating because these rituals exist in every societal context; the
search for a partner is universal.

We’re excited at the prospect of amplifying the voices of American Muslim
women. If you think such perspectives need to be heard too, we invite you to
contribute your story!

DETAILS

Stories must be auto-biographical and written by American Muslim women, either
born in and/or predominantly raised in the United States . We are looking for
contributors who identify as American and as Muslim, whether by birth or
conversion, and who reflect a broad range of religious perspectives, from
orthodox to cultural to secular.

Write about a transformative episode that defined your courtship/dating
experience. Think about the epiphany, the crystallizing moment: At what point
in your life did your religious identity play a role in your search for a
partner? Did other factors, such as ethnicity, race, class, etc. merge or
collide with your religious identity?

We want real-life stories rich with details so they read like fiction. We want
more story-telling and less essay-like commentary.

Diversity: Contributions are welcome from Muslim women of all racial and ethnic
backgrounds, born and convert Muslims, Sunnis/Shiites, disabled, single,
engaged, married, divorced, or widowed.

In order for your story to be considered, please send us the following
information by Tuesday, January 15th. All responses will be treated as
confidential.

*Your full name

*Age

*Your geographic location

*Sect

*E-mail address or phone number

*Ethnic/racial background

*Whether Muslim by birth or conversion

*A 300-500 word pitch describing the highlights of your story

Pitches will be selected based on their literary merit. You already know what
makes good writing: humor, drama, irony, triumph, and focus. Bring your
anecdote to life with vivid characterization, plot, and surprising real-life
details. Draw us in and leave us craving more of your story!

Contact us: Please send your pitch and all other inquiries to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Notification: We hope to make our selections by February 15, 2008. Final
stories will be due May 1, 2008. Stories should range between 1,500 and 4,000
words.

All submissions may not be accepted, but every submission will be considered.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the American Muslim Women's Literary
Anthology January 2008

1. Can I make up a fictional story?

2. Can I contribute if I am a non-Muslim woman married to a Muslim man or a
non-Muslim woman living in a Muslim country?

3. Can I contribute a story anonymously or under a pen name?

4. Will I receive a payment for my essay? Will I own the copyright?

5. Can I deal with some of the darker issues we have around dating and/or
courtship in the community or is this a rosy-view only anthology?

6. Can I write my parents', my friend's, or someone else's story?

7. If I am an American Muslim woman living abroad can I still write for this
anthology?

8. Can I write about my marriage?

9. Is this anthology for a Muslim or non- Muslim audience?

FAQs

1. Can I make up a fictional story?

No, this is an anthology for personal, non-fiction, and autobiographical
stories by individual American Muslim women.

2. Can I contribute if I am a non-Muslim married to a Muslim man, or a
non-Muslim woman living in a Muslim country?

No, this anthology is specifically for stories by American Muslim women.

3. Can I contribute a story anonymously or under a pen name?

We prefer non-anonymous stories. Part of the reason for the anthology is to
establish an open dialog within the Muslim community as well as between Muslims
and non-Muslims.

Having said that, we also understand that sometimes there are valid reasons not
to write under one's own name, so we will make decisions on a case-by-case
basis.

If you are interested in writing under a pseudonym please send in your pitch
and your reasons so that we can make a decision after reading both materials.

4. Will I receive a payment for my essay? Will I own the copyright?

If your essay is chosen, you will receive a (to-be-determined) payment for the
essay upon signing a legal contract with us.

We will own the copyright; however, you will be able to use it under the terms
and conditions listed in the contract.

5. Can I deal with some of the darker issues we have around dating and/or
courtship in the community or is this a rosy-view only anthology?

First and foremost, we are interested in insightful, well-written, and
compelling stories. Having said that, they may run the gamut of funny to sad to
moving because we would like to portray the full, authentic spectrum of
American Muslim women's experiences.

We welcome the description of the darker side of relationship experiences and
are also interested to learn whether or not the writer was able to grow through
the experience or able to find a light, however dim, at the end of the tunnel.

Some questions to ask yourself include: How did the experience change you as a
person? Did it make you stronger or more insightful? Were you able to get
support from your faith, family or community or not?

Most importantly, What did you learn from it that might be of benefit to other
women?

6. Can I write someone else's story?

No, stories must be based upon your own, personal, non-fiction,
auto-biographical experiences.

7. If I am an American Muslim woman living abroad can I still write for this
anthology?

As long as the writer self-identifies as an American Muslim they may write from
wherever they are currently based.

8. Can I write about my marriage?

Although elements of your marriage may come into the story, the primary focus
should be on the dating and/or courtship experiences leading up to marriage.

In the case of divorced of widowed woman, for example, their marriage may have
informed what they are seeking in a partner now, but again, the focus should
remain on the courtship/dating process.

9. Is this anthology for a Muslim or non- Muslim audience?

It is for both audiences.

We hope to help amplify American Muslim women's voices and to encourage
creativity, communication and discussion within the Muslim community.

In the wider community, we would like to help develop a more nuanced
perspective of Muslim woman as intelligent, humorous, strong and capable of
articulating their own, diverse opinions and experiences.

If you have a question not listed or answered here, please feel free to contact
us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SAMPLE PITCH

If you have never written a pitch before, you may read the one below. It is
full of interesting details, humor, a strong narrative voice and leaves us
wanting to know more about the narrator and her relationship.

Sample pitch:

In my mid twenties I gave birth to a son, dropped down to a svelte size six,
and dropped 165 pounds of dead weight (aka my ex husband). Since I was the girl
who married her father’s dream boy from Palestine as a teenager; being divorced
with a baby was a huge step that I prayed about constantly before taking.

Newly single and happy to be free- getting involved with another man was the
furthest thought from my mind. I began taking advantage of the opportunities
that were finally available to me- I began attending a local university, I kept
my part time job working in social services, I devoted my self fully to my son,
and I spent four days a week exercising my frustrations away.

After a couple of months, I began receiving phone calls from friends who knew
someone ‘perfect’ for me, but the more men I spoke to, the more I wondered who
my friends thought I was. Why was someone with questionable social skills
perfect for me? I never realized what it would mean to be Muslimah, muhajjabah,
mama, and single. I was expecting to be single forever, until I met a 6’3” tall
African man who opened my eyes, heart, and mind- and eventually introduced me
to the man who is now my husband!

Navigating a courtship that involved my partner asking my father’s permission
to marry me, in home interrogation from my brother, list making, facing the
Arab/African culture clash, physical challenges, class issues, and even greater
attention from our Texas Wal Mart shoppers as they see a family of a small
white Palestinian woman in hijab with her tall black husband and their children
of varying shades of brown. Our unexpected courtship and marriage has yielded a
great lesson for both of us on the commonalities of marginalized populations in
the US, importance of compromise, and value of broadening our experiences
beyond our traditional comfort zones.

---

All rights reserved.