Assalamu'alaikum wr wb,
How Can Our Hajj Be Accepted if Meningitis Vaccine from Swine!
The vaccine manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline had confirmed that a
pig enzyme was used in the early stages of production of the vaccine

Saudi Government has forced people who are going hajj to use Swine Vaccine to
get Hajj Visa. It is a very bad policy.

Saudi should revoke the policy of Swine Vaccine. Until the Halal Meningitis
Vaccine is found, we should never use it if it means we could not going for
Hajj.

Please pass this information to others!

Wassalam

Clerics meningitis vaccine contains an enzyme from pigs
Indonesian clerics ask Saudi to drop hajj vaccine

Indonesian clerks said vaccine containing pig enzymes contradict the Hajj
obligation
JAKARTA (AlArabiya.net, Agencies)
Indonesia's
top Muslim body called on Saudi Arabia Monday to drop a mandatory
meningitis vaccination for Hajj pilgrims on the basis that the
injection contains an enzyme from pigs, an animal considered impure in
Islam.

"We sent a letter to the Saudi government over the required meningitis
vaccination for the pilgrims following our findings that it contains a
pig substance," said the head of the Indonesian Council of Ulema Ma'ruf
Amin.

Amin said the vaccine manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline had confirmed that a
pig enzyme was used in the early stages of production of the vaccine,
but was not in the final product.
" As
the hajj pilgrimage is a religious obligation, we have asked the Saudi
authorities not to insist on the meningitis vaccination requirement"
Maruf Amin, head of Indonesian Council of Ulema
"The manufacturing company said that using a porcine enzyme in the initial
process of its production is unavoidable," he said.

"As the hajj pilgrimage is a religious obligation, we have asked the
Saudi authorities not to insist on the meningitis vaccination
requirement," Amin said, adding that if necessary, an alternative
should be found.

According to an official at Indonesia's religious affairs ministry,
Saudi Arabia has required pilgrims to have a meningitis vaccination for
10 years now, following an outbreak that originated with African
pilgrims.

In 2006, the Britain-based Medical News Today magazine said meningitis
outbreaks during the Muslim pilgrimage were serious.

"As a result of an outbreak of Meningococcal infection during Hajj
there has been a tragic loss of over 20 innocent human lives amongst
British Hajj pilgrims," the magazine quoted doctors as saying.
"Meningitis is a real and very serious risk for Hajj pilgrims. They may
also bring the meningitis germs back to their families, friends and
community.”

The presence of pork substance in the vaccination is especially of
concern when put in relation to the holy pilgrimage of Hajj as it
requires Muslims to be in a state of “ihram,” or purity.

With nearly 90 percent of Indonesia's 234 million people Muslim, most
of whom practice a moderate version of the religion, and the
consumption of pork being off-limits by Islam, the matter is of upmost
importance.
http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/06/08/75297.html

Indonesia Minister, Clerics Clash over Hajj Swine Vaccine’ Requirement
June 18, 2009 by TMO · Leave a Comment

JAKARTA, June 15 — The Indonesian Council of Ulema
(MUI) and the health minister are now at odds over a requirement for
hajj pilgrims to take an anti-meningitis vaccine which allegedly
contains a swine enzyme before travelling to the Holy Land, Antara news
agency reported.
“Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari’s statement
that MUI has no right to decide whether meningitis vaccine is ‘halal’
(allowed in Islam) or ‘haram’ (banned) can mislead and create unrest
among Muslims,” MUI Chairman Amidhan, said yesterday.
According to the MUI chairman, the health minister
as a state official should not have made the statement as it would
create unrest among Muslims. The minister made the statement at a
meeting of the Aisyiyah women wing of the Muhammadiyah Muslim
organisation in Yoyakarta yesterday.
“I read her statement in the running text of a television broadcast Sunday
morning,” Amidhan said.
MUI has the authority to decide whether or not a
product is halal or haram based on Law No. 7 / 1996 on Food. One of its
articles clearly stipulates that the halal certification of a product
would be issued by MUI.
MUI is equipped with two institutions in this case.
One is the Institute for Assessment of Food, Drug and Cosmetics (LPPOM)
and the other one is the Commission on Edicts and Legal Affairs.
“Before MUI decides whether a product is halal or
haram, its team will check it in the field and test it in a laboratory,
the results of which would be taken to and discussed with the edict
commission. We have the experience to handle such a problem for 20
years,” Amidhan said.
At the Aisyiyah meeting, Health Minister Siti
Fadilah Supari said that Indonesian would-be hajj pilgrims were obliged
to receive a meningitis vaccine before they left for Saudi Arabia
because the Saudi government had decided to oblige pilgrims to have one.
“The Saudi government obliges all hajj pilgrims to
have meningitis vaccine in order to protect them from cerebral membrane
inflammation,” the minister said. She was responding to a rejection by
a hajj pilgrim organiser group to provide meningitis vaccine as the
vaccine was suspected to contain swine enzyme.
The minister said that the requirement set by the
Saudi government to have meningitis vaccine for would-be hajj pilgrims
was final. Pilgrims should be injected with the vaccine if they wanted
to travel to Saudi Arabia.
“I have told the Saudi health minister about the
pros and cons on the use of the meningitis vaccine which was suspected
to contain swine enzyme but the Saudi government maintained its policy
and required meningitis vaccination for hajj pilgrims,” the minister
said.
Therefore, Indonesia’s would-be hajj pilgrims should
receive meningitis vaccine injection in the first place before they
could depart to Saudi Arabia. Without taking the meningitis vaccine, a
would-be hajj pilgrim would not be allowed to go to the Holy Land.
“So far, there is only one kind of meningitis
vaccine used by hajj pilgrims. This vaccine is produced by a US
pharmacy. So far, no other pharmacy has produced meningitis vaccine,”
the minister said.
The minister said that the US company was going to
produce another type of meningitis vaccine. They claimed the new
product was an innovative version of the previous one.
“Therefore, the price of the new vaccine which was
claimed to be free from pig enzyme is far higher than that of the
previous vaccine,” the minister said.
With regard to the present vaccine, the minister
said that the institution that had the right to assess the substance of
the vaccine was the ministry of health, not the MUI. So, MUI had
neither right nor authority or competence to assess the substance of
the meningitis vaccine and decided that it was halal or haram.
“MUI may decide that swine is halal or haram, but as
far as a vaccine is concerned, the institution which has the right and
competence to assess its substance is the health ministry,” Minister
Supari said.
However, it was reported that MUI had received the
very information on the swine enzyme substance in the meningitis
vaccine from the health ministry itself, namely its Advisory Council on
Health and Religious Legal Affairs (MPKS).
Amidhan said that MUI had the information from the
MPKS which held a meeting with the meningitis vaccine producer. It was
learnt from the results of a meeting between MPKS and the vaccine
producer Glaxo Smith Kline (GSK), that the vaccine contained swine
enzyme.
The producer even admitted that the meningitis vaccine contained swine enzyme.
“That is why we say that the vaccine is haram,” the
MUI chairman said. MUI has sent a letter to the Saudi government with
regard to the requirement for pilgrims to have meningitis vaccine.
The highest Islamic regulating council took the step
because all parties involved in the organization of hajj pilgrimage in
the country had agreed that the vaccine contained pig substance.
“We are waiting for a response from the Saudi
government. However, if the Saudi government insists on its decision to
require pilgrims to take meningitis vaccine, then we will use it based
on the principle of emergency. Of course this would continue to create
unrest,” Amidhan said. — Bernama
http://muslimmedianetwork.com/mmn/?tag=meningitis-vaccine

 ===
Belajar Islam sesuai Al Qur'an dan Hadits
http://media-islam.or.id

      "Coba Yahoo! Mail baru yang LEBIH CEPAT. Rasakan bedanya sekarang!
http://id.mail.yahoo.com"