B i s m i l l a a h i r   R a h m a a n i r   R a h e e m

R A M A D H A A N

Celebration of the Greatest Mercy of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala

Have you ever reflected upon the reason Ramadhaan was selected as the
month of fasting? Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala Himself has described
it:

"Ramadhaan is the month in which the Qur-aan—guidance to people,
containing clear pronouncements of the guidance and the criteria of
right and wrong—was sent down. Therefore, whoever of you is present
in this month, must spend it in fasting. This is so that you exalt the
greatness of Allaah for the favour that He has guided you, and so that
you may give thanks." (2:185)

Thus, Ramadhaan was selected because it was the month when revelation of
the Qur-aan began and as such, people could exalt the greatness of
Allaah for His favour of guidance.  The fasting itself was prescribed so
that people can thank Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala for bestowing
them the guidance.

In essence then, the month of Ramadhaan is a month-long celebration of
the revelation of the Qur-aan so that people can rejoice in this
greatest bounty of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala by glorifying Him
profusely and by fasting as an expression of gratitude for this immense
favour.

Why is the revelation of the Qur-aan the greatest mercy of Allaah
Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala that He Himself ascribes it to His attribute
of being the Most Gracious (Ar-Raĥmaan), and why does it deserve a
month long celebration? To understand the immenseness of this mercy,
people have to realize that through the Qur-aan Allaah Subhaanahu wa
Ta'aala has given us a system of life that is perfectly balanced,
optimally designed, fully-integrated and completely harmonized with our
nature and the nature of our surroundings (i.e., earthly environment).
This system covers every aspect of life and, if practised as designed
and as demonstrated by the Prophetic model1, produces a just, peaceful,
optimal, caring and sharing society characterized by excellence and
magnanimity. It is a turnkey system that can be implemented as packaged,
without needing any alterations or customizations, to produce the most
excellent results, requiring only sincere faith and whole-hearted
commitment from humanity.

The greatness of this mercy is further realized when we think that it
would have been absolutely impossible for humankind to come up with such
a system on our own, regardless of how much we would have tried,
whatever means and technology we would have used, and whatever research
we would have conducted. Even in this day and age when human beings
boast of their amazing technological advancements, all the greatest
scientists of the world cannot team up and produce any workable system
that has even any semblance of balance whatsoever in it. The reality is
that whatever human beings do is destructive in its net impact because
it may be useful in one aspect but may cause untold problems in other
aspects of human life and environment. That is why we see destruction in
the world everywhere. This is the result of human advancement in the
physical fields of study that can be experimented upon in laboratories.
Can you imagine our failure in the arena of human social and societal
systems that are the subject matter of the Qur-aanic system? The more
one reflects upon these matters, the more he or she will realize the
immenseness of this mercy of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala.

So how do we celebrate this greatest of Allaah's mercies? Naturally
the only way we can really celebrate this bounty of Allaah Subhaanahu wa
Ta'aala is by refreshing our minds with all the guidance and the
complete system enunciated in this book, examining whether we are
practising that guidance or not, evaluating if we are practising it in
the right manner or not, and correcting wherever we find ourselves
deficient. That is where the Taraweeĥ Ŝalaah comes into play.

The purpose of the Taraweeĥ Ŝalaah is to stand exalting the
greatness of Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala, and to be standing in His
audience in a respectful manner and reciting or listening with full
attention to the word of the Lord under awe and with humility to fulfil
the abovementioned objectives. During this recital, whenever a command
comes that can immediately be executed by performing a sajdah, executing
it right away. For all other commands and teachings, after the recital
of a certain portion of the book, bowing to Allaah Allaah Subhaanahu wa
Ta'aala as a gesture of obedience to whatever has been read or heard
and then prostrating to signify full submission and to express
gratitude. That is the essence of Taraweeĥ Ŝalaah and that is
the way of reciting the Qur-aan practised by the Prophet and by his
Ŝaĥaabah. That is why this Ŝalaah and Tahajjud Ŝalaah
were called Qiyaam because their primary purpose was reminding oneself
of the words of the Lord while standing respectfully, humbly and
attentively.

Unfortunately, we have converted it into a mechanical ritual whereby we
go through the movements devoid of the spirit. The emphasis is on
finishing, not on refreshing and reminding ourselves of the message. As
far as the system that the Qur-aan proposes, hardly anyone thinks about
it.

The biggest barrier in this respect is lack of the knowledge of the
Qur-aanic Arabic. This can be compensated if people spend extra time
earlier in the day to read the translation and Tafseer of the portion
that is to be recited in Taraweeĥ Ŝalaah at night. To make it
happen, we need to re-examine our time commitments and find time to do
so by getting rid of some of the things we are busy with. That is where
planning for Ramadhaan becomes important.

There may be some people who, even after exhausting their efforts (and
Allaah knows whether one has exhausted all efforts to find time or not),
can only spare time either for reading the translation and Tafseer or
for Taraweeĥ Ŝalaah. Such a person should offer `Ishaa with
Jamaa'ah in Masjid and then come home and stand in the audience of
Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala and read that much of the Qur-aan with
translation and Tafseer.

The reward that Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala has promised for
reciting the Qur-aan is for those who understand fully what is being
said and have full and sincere intention of acting accordingly. If one
is not understanding what is being said and does not know what is being
asked of them, they will lose all the reward that Allaah Allaah
Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala has assigned to understanding the message with
the intention of acting upon it, which leaves only a small fraction for
just reciting or listening to the words.

Prudent people would spend their time where they get the most return by
understanding the message with the intention to live by it. They are the
ones who will really be celebrating the revelation of the Qur-aan.

Unfortunately, it is not being practised in that manner currently
anywhere in the world, so there are no living examples of Islam's
unparalleled beauty as a complete way of life. Under these circumstances
it is the most important religious obligation of each and every Muslim
to strive for establishing Islam the way it was established in Madeenah.

Compiled, edited and adapted by Khalid Latif