On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Alexander Jolk wrote:
>Hi,
>
>There seem to be diverging opinions as to whether a whole bar rest in
>a meter exceeding 4/4 should be realized using \pause or not.  While
>the only written source cited so far, Werner Icking's table taken from
>Chlapik, does indeed propose a \pause, I'm sure many among us have
>seen this done differently.

Most of the scores that I have within arms reach use \PAuse for a whole
bars rest in 4/2 metre. (For the record they are some Lawes from
Musica Britannica and Faber, and a couple of volumes of 16 century
instrumental music from Garland.)  I'm pretty sure that the same happens
in Brahms's Deutsches Requiem, but it's been a couple of years since
I last played it and my recollection could be wrong.

For the contrary practice, all I could find were ``Kiss on Wood'' by
James MacMillan, pub. by Boosey and Hawkes, which uses \pause
for a whole bars rest in 4/2 (and \hpause \hpause for a half bar), and
``Stille Musik'' by Schnittke (Edition Sikorski) which uses \pause for a
whole bars  rest in n/4 (n=5,6,7,8).

So it looks like both versions are acceptable in current music publishing
practice.  I think I prefer the \PAuse convention, at least if the music is
in a fixed metre.

--
Huw Davies [EMAIL PROTECTED]