On Wed, 17 May 2000, Mthimkhulu Molekwa wrote:

> Typically, scores of SATB with piano puts the SATB above
> the piano. What about the addition of other instruments?
> Where would you put things like solo flutes or violins,
> or percussion. What about a comination of instruments such
> as SATB with a Marimba set?

The convention you mention stems from the baroque time
where the lowest line was reserved for the basso continuo.
Accompagnato was noted by one line and ciphers, but obligato required
two staves for the keyboard at bottom.
Upwards then follow the vocals (SATB or soloists), then
the strings, then the woods and the brass. Percussion
(at that time timpani) were noted with the brass. Later
percussion came above the brass. In later times keyboard instruments
were no longer an obligatory constituent of an orchestra but rather
a solo instrument. I do not know how the conventions are nowadays.
> Happy MusixTeXing,
                     Christof