On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:15:28 +0000
Ubw iobt <ubw1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have not posted anything to Mutopia before and I wasn't easily able
> to find the answer in the email threads.
>
> What is the accepted behaviour when taking someone else's .ly file and
> converting it with regard to the tagline.
>
> Not that I want my own name in there or am trying to take any 'glory'
> for simply running convert.ly on an old score, but I am more thinking
> in cases of old versions of LilyPond or pieces which have not been
> converted for many years, is it really acceptable or fair to leave
> the original person's name and/or email in the ly file?

Indeed, the tagline is misleading because it says "typeset by
\maintainer", but it's not always the maintainer who did most of the
typesetting work.

It should be possible to credit the original typesetter in the source,
but I think it's still wrong to mislead those who get the printed score.

To make the matter more complicated, the amount of effort may be very
different for different scores. In some cases, it's just running
convert-ly.  In other cases, a lot of work may be needed to display the
score correctly and to produce a nice sounding MIDI file.

And then there is proofreading, which changes very little but takes a
lot of time...

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin