On Apr 3, 2014, at 3:51 PM, Javier Ruiz-Alma <jav...@ruiz-alma.com> wrote:

> Here are some options to consider (condensing a bit):
>
> Published in Clairnote music notation using LilyPond by Paul Morris.
> Original typesetting by Nikos Kourementos for the Mutopia Project (ID-931).
> Placed in the public domain by the typesetter.  Free to distribute, modify,
> and perform.
>
> Published in Clairnote music notation using LilyPond by Paul Morris.
> Original typesetting (c) 2014 by Nikos Kourementos for the Mutopia Project
> (ID-931).  Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 4.0
> (International).  Free to distribute, modify, and perform.

Thanks for those suggestions.  They read well and I like how they are more
condensed.  Before I saw your email I looked at the best practices examples[1]
again and came up with the following versions that more closely follow them,
but they are less condensed.

For creative commons:

This piece is from the Mutopia Project (www.mutopiaproject.org), typeset in
standard music notation using LilyPond by Nikos Kouremenos
(Mutopia-2014/03/24-519), used under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike
4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/).  Modified
from the original version: translated into Clairnote music notation using
LilyPond.

For public domain:

This piece is from the Mutopia Project (www.mutopiaproject.org), typeset in
standard music notation using LilyPond and placed in the public domain by
Stelios Samelis (Mutopia-2012/12/23-931).  Modified from the original version:
translated into Clairnote music notation using LilyPond.

[1]
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Best_practices_for_attribution#This_is_a_good_attribution_for_material_you_modified_slightly

> CC licensing requires reference to the specific URL for the license listed.
> Mutopia now delivers this as an embedded active link in PDF, not spelled out
> in text.  We also embed the corresponding links to the words LilyPond and
> MutopiaProject.  Referring to the specific PieceID I'd say it's nice but
> optional, so I condensed it.  If you plan to keep the reference to PieceID,
> you might as well embed an active link to the piece in Mutopia, as some of
> your readers may wish to compare:
> http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=931

I was wondering about this for PDFs since they may be on screen or in print.
I've been including those live links in the PDF files, but I read somewhere
that for print media you should include the URL of the license, but maybe this
is not needed for online distribution.  I think I like having the full ID
listed since that fully identifies the source.  I do link to each piece on the
Mutopia site on my web page, but I haven't been doing this in the PDF files
themselves.

One thing I'm thinking about is the balance between giving credit to the
typesetter and the Mutopia Project, without implying that they endorse the
modified version.  (Which you're not supposed to do with a cc license.)  So
that's why I've been including the "in standard music notation" phrase, but
maybe that's not needed, depending on how things are worded.

Thanks again,
-Paul