On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 10:19:06AM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> So how about the following strategy for $umask:
>
> 1. I back out my patch
>
> 2. we save the existing $umask when setting it to 077 in main
> 3. we temporarily restore that umask for saving attachments and pipe
>    commands
> 4. we create new mailboxes unconditionally as 077, but use the
>    permissions of the existing mailbox when updating it. This works
>    for mbox, but we would need to stat the root directory of
>    maildir/mh and save that mode when updating.

this poses the question why you would change the umask in the first
place? you can always create files with a stricter mode than umask, only
a more liberal mode needs an additional chmod.

regarding attachments specifically, i considered asking the user for the
requested mode after the file name. however, i tend to think that this
wouldn't be too helpful, given that the development of a "press enter
twice"-reflex would be sort of inevitable.