On 1999-07-15 23:21:47 -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:

> Mutt not being #1 shouldn't be surprising, nor a discouragement.
> It's a simple fact that people are satisfied with crap.

It's not even about people being satisfied with crap.

It's about people having different needs.  I can totally understand
that beginners or cursory users with 1-3 messages per day are just
fine with pine.  Why should they bother to write configuration files
containing several hundred lines of custom key bindings, dozens of
hooks, and the like?  For them, it will be more economic to use a
mailer like pine.

Heck, I even know users who are still using mailx.  So what?  I've
been happy with it for some years myself, before MIME became
omnipresent, and I started using pine and elm me+ (and, finally,
mutt).

On the other hand, there are lots of people who have started to like
GUI-based MUAs.  That's also fine with me, but a GUI-based MUA
simply wouldn't fit my personal needs.  And I'm rather sure I'm not
the only person thinking like that.