I've received a couple of attachments which are MS Word in format.
They were forwarded to me by another recipient.

The attachments are preceded by the following text:

UUEncoded file named: 1073313B.doc follows)
(Its format is: Lotus Manuscript 1.0 )

Following that is the ASCII encoded mess.

If I re-send the message, pick it up in W98/MSWord, (you'll pardon the
expression ;), it is decoded properly and can be opened just fine.

I routinely receive MS Word attachments in mutt, save and use them
just fine.

I'm supposing that this is a mime or mailcap issue, but I'm not sure.
Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

John