On 2000.06.11, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Nils Vogels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 03:22:27PM -0400, David T-G wrote:
> >
> > Nothing -- except in the minds of folks who make decisions at his company.
>
> *sigh* ... managers ... ;-)

My group runs a system with nearly 500 concurrent users at peak times,
and at least 100 at most times.  We kill all user daemons and frequent
cron tasks on sight.

If people want to probe the IMAP server every 15 minutes from their own
systems, that's not our business, but if they probe every 90 seconds,
that also becomes our business, and we ask them to stop.

There's nothing wrong with that, either.  When you provide a resource
to the public, you have the right to specify terms of service.

P.S. I am not a manager.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago