I have been trying to explore various issues about the mixmaster support
in mutt, but I am having difficulty in bringing these issues to a
conclusion. Here however is a summary, followed by some questions.

Mixmaster has versions 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and then a set of
versions loosely called version 3.0 betas, but actually called 2.9bxx
where xx is a version number. Mutt support is currently for versions 2.4
only. It may work for 2.3 but I think this versions delivers the remailer
list using "mixmaster -T" differently from 2.4. I have not explored this
further as the 2 versions are clearly similar and the latest - 2.4 - is
likely to be the best. The earlier versions do not support the "-T"
flag.

The 3.0 betas also do not support the "-T" flag to delivery the list of
remailers from the type2.list file.  Thomas Roessler believes that the
code could very easily be changed to read the type2.list file directly
and that could work with both 2.4 and the 3.0 betas. I agree.

However I am unable to make progress because I can not get 2.9beta23 to
work on either of two machines I use - a RS6000 running AIX 2.3.5 and a
Digital Alpha running what they now call Tru64 Unix. I have tried to get
help on these problems - the behaviour is different on the two machines
- but am still completely puzzled.

My efforts in this direction however lead me to the following
reflections. The L-mix e-mail list has virtually no traffic. The various
newsgroups that could possibly have people interested in this topic have
little non-junk traffic. Only three people have expressed interest in
mixmaster support from the mutt lists. The mixmaster community seems to
be terribly small. There are some indications that interest in anonymous
mailers has declined over the last 4 - 5 years and also that perhaps
what interest remains is dedicated to PCs where there some nice wrappers
it seems for the Windows Mixmaster executable. So, is there really a
demand for mixmaster support in mutt? Should we perhaps remove bloat by
taking it out, rather than expanding it? Certainly I am beginning to
wonder whether I need it or whether further work on it is warranted.

Your views please.

Cheers, Brian.

--
Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      School of Biological, Environmental and Chemical Sciences, SITE,