On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:00:10AM +0530, Joane Lispton wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> >Sounds like you're trying too hard here. With sendmail (insert your MTA
> >of choice here as I'm sure they all work in a similar way) all I simply
> >need to do is type "mailq" and I can see what's still in the queue and
> >why.
>
> Your are right, of course. Dan also pointed that out. But, using mailq
> still means that I must put mutt into the background and run some command,
> which is pretty different from knowing the "Mail sent" means ... well,
> exactly that! :-)

True, there's a difference in your case. I wasn't suggesting that your
method of working off line as any less valid than mine (it seems that I'm
really off-line but you have some on-line version of off-line, dial on
demand perhaps?).

As for putting mutt into the background. No need for that at all. A quick
mutt macro to run mailq would let you feel that the facility was part of
mutt itself. I run all sorts of external tools from mutt to help me manage
email.

Point here being, there are far easier and far more integrated ways of doing
this (that don't require mutt to be modified) than scanning logs. I know
this doesn't make your environment as useful as you'd like but the current
setup doesn't need to be as unwieldy as you've reported it is.

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards