On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:45:50AM -0400, Brendan Cully sat at the 'puter and typed:

> > One more minor thing.  When I delete a file, I would like to simply
> > move it to the Trash folder.  I know this isn't the defined imap
> > behavior, but I am kind of used to it.  How can that be done?
>
> You need to write a macro to save your message to a trash folder and
> bind it to a key (possibly the current delete key). Something like:
>
> macro index d "<save-message>=Trash\n" "Move message to the trash folder"
> macro pager d "<save-message>=Trash\n" "Move message to the trash folder"
>
> might work for you, although I don't guarantee it (I hardly ever write
> macros, and don't use a trash folder). Search the archives if it
> doesn't, this is asked a lot.

Ok, you made no guarantees, and at first attempt, it worked like a
charm, but here's the problem.
When I go to the Trash folder and try to purge it, naturally I do so
by marking each one as deleted.  So mutt does what it is told and
copies each one to the Trash folder - hmm.  Eventually mutt crashes
and I have a hundred or more copies in the Trash folder.

I looked for a 'move-message' command to do the job a little
differently, though it still wouldn't completely fix this problem, and
there isn't one.

It seems I would need another macro or key binding to just mark all
messages as deleted without doing the save-message.

I think I will have to find a way to just delete by pattern
([A-Z])takes care of pretty much all of it.

I seem to remember a thread in the archives that talks about marking
multiple messages as read.  I'll have a look.

Maybe a macro to ^d that could do a delete-pattern for [A-Z,a-z,0-9]?
You'd probably want to define a similar undelete macro just incase you
tried to fat-finger your whole mailbox into oblivion :)

I'll take a look and let everyone know what I come up with.

Thanks for the boost Brendan!

Lou

--
Louis LeBlanc