On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:00:04PM -0700, Larry Hignight wrote:
> I'm curious as to which header Mutt (or any other mua for that matter)
> uses to sort email into threads.  Someone on another list had said that
> it was the subject header, but I don't think it can be the subject
> header because people often screw up threading mid-stream by replying
> and changing the subject line.

>From http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-6.html#ss6.3 :

"strict_threads

Type: boolean
Default: no

If set, threading will only make use of the ``In-Reply-To'' and
``References'' fields when ``sorting'' by message threads. By
default, messages with the same subject are grouped together in
``pseudo threads.'' This may not always be desirable, such as in
a personal mailbox where you might have several unrelated
messages with the subject ``hi'' which will get grouped together."

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |    http://freesklyarov.org/