Hi,

The purpose of this email: it would be *REALLY* nice if the manual was
explicit about what is meant by "all" in "4.2 Patterns" section.
Also, the manual should probably have a small blurb listing which commands
ignore collapsed thread messages, and which don't (ideally in section "2.3.3
Threaded Mode").  For some of us mutt's current behaviour in this regard is
non-intuitive, so clearing these things up in the manual would help us from
pulling our hair out.

Long story:

I got bitten badly by the ambiguity in the manual regarding the "~A" pattern.
Naive me thought that "all messages" means "all messages", and would have
never guessed it meant "all *visible* messages".  My default folder view is
with collapsed threads and I was opening mh folders and moving all messages to
new mbox style ones:

  T~A\n;s=newmbox\n

After checking that the first few mailboxes were transferred correctly (which
as fate would have it didn't have more than one message per thread) I did
the rest quickly.  As deleted messages in mh folders still leave files, I "rm
-rf" those directories once they were converted.  Only three-quarters of the
way through did I realize that the collapsed messages were not being copied
over.  Argh!!!  Luckily I can probably get 95% of the lost messages from
various backups, but it's a massive headache.

After browsing the Net on this topic I later found that apparently other
commands also ignore collapsed messages (I think searching was one of them).
Can someone list which commands ignore threads and which don't?

BTW, I'm using mutt 1.3.24.

--
Maciej Kalisiak         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac