Charles Jie wrote:

> I found mutt can not decode qp strings in Subject if there is space in it. Such like
>
>     =?big5?Q?Re: =BCW=A5[=B1z=AA=BA=A6=AC=A4J?=
>
> If I change ' ' to '=20', it works.
>
> Does the spec. of qp not allow spaces?

No. Quote from RFC 2047:

   IMPORTANT: 'encoded-word's are designed to be recognized as 'atom's
   by an RFC 822 parser.  As a consequence, unencoded white space
   characters (such as SPACE and HTAB) are FORBIDDEN within an
   'encoded-word'.  For example, the character sequence

      =?iso-8859-1?q?this is some text?=

   would be parsed as four 'atom's, rather than as a single 'atom' (by
   an RFC 822 parser) or 'encoded-word' (by a parser which understands
   'encoded-words').  The correct way to encode the string "this is some
   text" is to encode the SPACE characters as well, e.g.

      =?iso-8859-1?q?this=20is=20some=20text?=

So you should complain to the authors of the sender's software.

Regards...
                Michael