On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:28:41PM -0600, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I really don't get this guys, why mutt whouldn't modify a timestamp after
> modifying a mbox! And the worst is that it rely on the timestamps to know
> when there are new msgs.

<snip>

The reason mutt does this is that a number of new mail notifier programs
(such as xbiff and pals) use the modification time to detect the arrival
of new mail. If mutt did modify the mtime, then everytime you (for
example) deleted an email, you would be notified of having new mail,
which I'm sure would annoy you a great deal more.

--
Benjamin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]>