(I've also posted this to comp.mail.mutt)

I'm encountering problems with getting my outbound mail to make the trip
to the recipient, particularly with errors about invalid sender
addresses, etc.

Here's my mail environment :
--------------------------

My local box ('vulcan', Red Hat 7.2, mutt 1.2.5i) is on a network here
at home with one other system and has a second NIC connected to my ISP
via a cable modem.  There is no email sent between these two systems. My
local username is 'len'.

My ISP houses my POP3 account, but I have a domain (philpot.org) with an
alias there (len) that redirects mail and http traffic to my ISP. This
is the address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) that the world sees, and it works fine.

+-----------------+      +--------------+            __________
| philpothome.org |      | My ISP and   |           (          )
|     +------+    |      | my actual    |<--------->( Internet )
|     |vulcan|<--------->| POP3 account |           (__________)
|     +------+    |      +--------------+                 ^
|        ^        |                 ^                     |
|        |        |                 |                     |
|        v        |                 |                     |
|    +--------+   |                 |                     v
|    |Win98 PC|   |                 |               +-------------+
|    +--------+   |                 +-------------->| philpot.org |
+-----------------+                                 +-------------+

I'm sure you've seen it before, but I guess the drawing helps... :)

In the past, I've used various email clients (Balsa, Pegasus, etc.) that
talk directly to the POP3 server, as can mutt. Mail comes and goes,
looking to the recipient as if it came from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. However,
these other clients were also smtp MTAs.

A few key things from ~/.muttrc :
-------------------------------

There's probaby overlap here, but... ??

set envelope_from=yes
set from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
set hostname="philpot.org"  # 'cause that's how it looks to the world
set hidden_host=yes         # this was to hopefully end up with the
                            # proper sender address, given my alias

Here's my problem :
-----------------

Now that I'm using fetchmail, it's different. fetchmail works fine, but
when I send emails, many get rejected with errors about invalid sender
domains and such.

One kind soul suggested I 'set envelope_from=yes' and that fixed my
Reply-to address appearing wrong. Since it forces 'sendmail -f', that's
detected by some recipients (eg., hotmail.com) and shows up as a warning
in the headers:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] using -f

However, I can live with that if it doesn't cause any problems.

However, I get this sort of thing quite often :

    Domain of sender address [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not exist

?Huh?

So, I commented the 'from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"' in ~/.muttrc and tried
again. This time I got :

    Domain of sender address [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not exist

Well, that's true, since philpothome.org is simply my intranet "domain"
here at home, so I put things back like they were.

Help! :)
-----

Obviously, I'm flailing about here... Can anyone give me any pointers? I
get the feeling I've got something set amiss 'early on' and am trying to
undo it down the road, but I don't know what it is. It's probably
quicker to fix that it was to write this...

I've read the descriptions in mutt's docs, as well as what I could find
in the FAQ, etc., etc. I have an 800 page sendmail book at work, but I'd
LOVE to avoid all that... a sendmail book is kinda like a math textbook:
You can't exactly look up something in the index, jump to the page and
expect it to make any sense. You have to read and *comprehend* all
before it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. I really like mutt, but getting
these messages kicked back is a major drawback (and it may well not be a
mutt issue, but if not, it's brought on by mutt's MTA requirement).

|  Len Philpot       ><>         http://philpot.org/  |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED] (alt)  |