Dave Pearson:

> >  - Mutt now uses the iconv interface for character set conversions.
> >    This means that you need either a very modern libc, or Bruno
> >    Haible's libiconv, which is available from
> >    <http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/>.
>
> What sort of version numbers count as "very modern"?

I think glibc >= 2.1.3 should work, while glibc-2.1.2 has a bug which
is detected by mutt's configure, so you shouldn't have any subtle
problems when using glibc. The remark about "very modern libc" is more
aimed at users of other C libraries.

The problem you describe is more likely caused by a bad locale or
charset setting.

Still, installing libiconv shouldn't hurt. Do you really need
--with-iconv=/usr/local? Most systems don't need to be told specially
to look in /usr/local.

The problem with ICONV_CONST might be solved by Lars Hecking's noiconv
patch.

Edmund