> above shows that your printer is "GENERIC PostScript Printer".  Is
> that what http://localhost:631 reports?

Yes.

> What distro are you running?  Have you *ever* been able to print from
> the cl?  What printer and what name is assigned in cups?

Actually, I'm running FreeBSD 7.0, and I have never been able to print
from the command line while using a CUPS installed printer.
Localhost:631 does indeed report the printer as GENERIC PostScript
Printer.

> ps: this conversation may be off-topic or vary loosely on-topic as it
> pertains to/originated with printing from mutt.

True.  And although my main concern is to be able to print from Mutt,
the whole discussion about printer installation may be pulling us
off-topic.