On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 03:00:32PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 09:51:03AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * lee <l...@yun.yagibdah.de> [07-03-10 09:13]:

> > > Because of poor support, maybe :)
> >
> > Or, more likely, requests for features that most do *not* want presented
> > in a haughty manner
>
> What's haughty about this?
>
> > which would require coding and where work-a-rounds
> > have been presented.
>
> Just look at the replies, ppl told me at first that a feature I have
> use for is useless, troublesome and pointless and that they don't want
> it because they don't like it. How haughty is that? And keep in mind
> that nobody would be forced to use this feature if they don't like it.
>
> Just look at your own comment and how haughty that is: Apparently the
> idea that implementing a feature would require some work is horrible
> to you, so you're telling me that everyone who has use for it should
> "implement" the feature by doing the necessary steps for each message
> manually. "Do it manually" was the only workaround presented, but
> that's silly considering that I already said in my OP that I can do it
> manually but am wondering if there's a better solution
> available. Besides, it has probably escaped you that there's a
> difference between "solution" and "workaround".
>
> Isn't it amazing that ppl can't say something like "hey I don't have
> use for this feature and I don't like it and I don't know of any
> implementation, but it would sure be great if you were to come up with
> a solution everyone could use"?

I have not responded before, but what is wrong with that. It is my
position. I do not use them. I do not like them and do not quite
understand why you and others think it solves a problem. However, I am
more than happy for a new feature to be available in or with mutt. Do I
know of an implementation? I have a vague recollection that there was
one on this mailing list 10 or more years ago, but I no longer have
details and can not remember anything.

> You know, I've already been asking myself if I should make such a
> solution available for everyone who wants it if I ever implement it
> after seeing the rude comments I got here. Don't be surprised when at
> some time, you'll find yourself out of free software because you
> finally managed to piss off everyone who was willing to provide some.

Free software is not going to die because you are pissed off. The mutt
list is calm and helpful compared with many lists.

--
"The box said 'Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux"
                                                -- Unknown