On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:50:17PM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:
> Quoth Patrick Shanahan on Tuesday, 27 July 2010:
> > * Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> [07-27-10 16:31]:
> > >
> > > Ah, you must mean this bit, from the muttrc man page:
> > >
> > >        write_bcc
> > >               Type: boolean
> > >               Default: yes
> > >
> > >         Controls  whether  mutt  writes out the ?Bcc:? header
> > >         when preparing messages to be sent.  Exim users may wish
> > >         to unset this. If mutt is set to deliver directly via
> > >         SMTP (see $smtp_url), this option does nothing: mutt
> > >         will never write out the ?Bcc:?  header in this case.
> > >
> > > Hmmm... Seems like you're wrong after all (Mutt 1.5.20hg
> > > (2009-08-27)).  Mutt may well write out the Bcc line on the message
> > > that is sent out.
> > >

> > the something is drastically amiss!
> >
> > openSUSE 11.2 x86_64
> > mutt-1.5.20-16.1.x86_64.rpm
> >
> > Mutt 1.5.20 (2009-06-14)
> > Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Michael R. Elkins and others.
> > Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type mutt -vv'.
> > Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> > under certain conditions; type mutt -vv' for details.
> >
> > System: Linux 2.6.31.13-21-default (x86_64)
> > ncurses: ncurses 5.6.20080804 (compiled with 5.6)
> > libidn: 1.10 (compiled with 1.10)
> > hcache backend: GDBM version 1.8.3. 10/15/2002 (built Oct 24 2009 01:25:27)
> > Compile options:
> > -DOMAIN
> > -DEBUG
> > -HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE  +USE_FCNTL
> > -USE_FLOCK
> > +USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  +USE_SMTP
> > +USE_SSL_OPENSSL  -USE_SSL_GNUTLS  +USE_SASL  +USE_GSS  +HAVE_GETADDRINFO
> > -HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX
> > +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
> > +HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
> > +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  +CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
> > +CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME
> > -EXACT_ADDRESS  +SUN_ATTACHMENT
> > +ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +COMPRESSED  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS
> > +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET  +HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
> > +HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID  +USE_HCACHE
> > ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
> > SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
> > MAILPATH="/var/mail"
> > PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
> > SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
> > EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
> > -MIXMASTER
> > To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-...@mutt.org>.
> > To report a bug, please visit http://bugs.mutt.org/.
> >
> > patch-1.5.20.sidebar.20090619.txt
> > patch-1.5.19.rr.compressed.1
> > patch-1.5.5.1.nt.xtitles.3.ab.1
> >

> > I have:
> > :set ?write_bcc          write_bcc is set
> >
> > and I am bcc'ing this post to you, the op and me.
> >
> Maybe sendmail strips it?  I'm using ssmtp.

I use ssmtp and I found very odd behaviour. I sent a message to me at 4
different alternative addresses that all forward to my main address. My
sourceforge address was in the To. My old UK college was in the Cc. and
my gmail and university addresses were in Bcc:. There was no set write_bcc
in my muttrc. None of the 4 show up in the message, but if I look in the
full headers the Bcc is there in three but not in my university one. I
then set write_bcc=no  and now the Bcc does not show in any of the
headers.

Surely set write_bcc should be only about what you see when composing
mail? In sending, the Bcc should not reach the recipients.

Brian.

--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog