>   3) I have set up several configuration files and made a maildir
> structure but feel uncomfortable leaving my emails settings, e.g.
> passwords, and messages in plain text files that anyone could read. I
> have nothing to hide but feel this is insecure.

If you're on Linux, you might find the msmtp-gnome package useful. It
allows you to store your password in the gnome-keyring. It's better
than storing passwords in clear text in config files, but I don't know
enough to tell if it'll satisfy folks who are serious about security.

I use offlineimap for "incoming" mail, and that uses the gnome keyring
too, but that is probably irrelevant to your needs.

HTH,
mandar.