On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 07:01:24PM +0000, David Woodfall wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I'm currently using mutt in xterm, and I finally got tired of copy&paste
> >long urls (wrapped in multiple lines) from mutt to browser. Ideally, I'd
> >like to be able to open urls by clicking them.
> >
> >It looks like xterm doesn't support clicking on urls, so I'm ready to
> >switch to any other terminal emulator which will support this feature.
> >Right now I'm experimenting with Konsole, but it's just a random choice.
> >
> >   Side note about 'markers': I'd like them, but had to switch them off
> >   to avoid junk inside urls. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have
> >   markers in all wrapped lines except inside urls - is that possible?
> >
> >Problem is, konsole doesn't detect wrapped urls as single line. While
> >investigating this issue I noticed line selection (using triple-click) also
> >doesn't detect lines wrapped by mutt as single line (but it does work for
> >lines wrapped by other apps like less or bash, both in xterm and konsole).
> >
> >So, looks like something is broken in mutt.
> >Maybe this issue is already known: http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3453
> >

> >I don't like to use url shorteners because of several reasons:
> >- I wanna see real url before opening it
> >- private urls unintentionally made public
> >- changing content of incoming emails may break things (like pgp signatures)
> >- probably won't work for outgoing emails
> >and first reason is most important.
> >
> >I know about urlview, but it both doesn't show long urls well and more
> >complicated to use than just copy&paste (with disabled markers).
> >
> >Can anyone recommend any other solutions? How you open long urls?
> >
> >--
> >                     WBR, Alex.
>
> It would be nice to see this fixed somehow. I've used urlview in the
> past but I prefer to see links in the context of the surrounding text.
>
> Dave

I use a Ubuntu terminal and the url above shows up highlighted in blue.
I hold the mouse over it and right click brings up a menu. I select
"open in browser" and it does just that. For attached html I use
mutt_bgrun. I have a script with several alternatives:-

#!/bin/bash
#
# see_html
# script to give choice of viewer for html attachments
#
# Brian Salter-Duke <b_d...@bigpond.net.au>
# This version: 13 May 2007
#-----------------------------------------------------------
#
view2="4"
echo "Menu for possible applications."
echo
echo "      1   Use lynx"
echo "      2   Use w3m"
echo "      3   Use Firefox"
echo "      4   Use Google Chrome"
echo "      0   Exit"
echo
echo
echo -n "Type in the number of the application you want: "
read viewer
if [ -z $viewer ]; then
viewer=$view2
fi
#
case $viewer in
0)
exit
;;
1)
echo "lynx -dump -force_html $1"
lynx -dump -force_html $1 > /tmp/out$$
/usr/bin/less /tmp/out$$
rm /tmp/out$$
;;
2)
echo "w3m -dump $1"
#/usr/bin/w3m -dump $1 > /tmp/out$$
/usr/bin/w3m -dump -T text/html -I %{charseti} $1 | /usr/bin/less
#/usr/bin/less /tmp/out$$
#rm /tmp/out$$
;;
3)
echo "Using Firefox for $1"
mutt_bgrun firefox $1
;;
4)
echo "Using google-chrome for $1"
mutt_bgrun google-chrome -enable-plugins $1
;;
esac

These solutions have been around for a long time. Am I missing something?

Brian
--
"The box said 'Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux"
                                                -- Unknown