On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 03:15:41PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 02:34:44PM -0400, Ed Blackman wrote:
> > I could probably port archivemail to Python3 with enough time.
>
> I make extensive, but very basic, use of archivemail.  I'm concerned about
> its going away.  Does anyone know of an equivalent, maintained,
> program?  Shame if it is dropped.  Though the last update was what,
> 2011 I think, it has caused no problems, it just works.

The issue is that the Python3 email API is much different from the Python2 API.

Knowing that there's at least one other archivemail user that might be
interested in a Python3 port, I've put some work in.

Do *not* get your hopes up.  After about 5 hours, I'm down to 36 errors and
failures in the 99 item test suite, having started from about 68 errors and
failures after a quick Py2->Py3 syntax port.  I've also noted the absence of a
lot of test cases.  I'm not close enough for coverage to mean anything, but I'm
guessing the test suite covered less than half the lines of the existing code.

For now I'll keep working on it as I have time and interest, but I might drop
it if I find something better.

--
Ed Blackman