On 7 March 2011 14:17, Andrew Chadwick (email lists)
<andrewc-email-li...@piffle.org> wrote:
> We should write down some simple policy for which licenses we accept
> into the MyPaint main distribution, primarily to keep things simple for
> coders and artists. What about the following, expressed in FAQ style?
>
> ------------------------------8<----------------------------
> DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL * DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL * DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL
>
> Q: What licenses should I use when contributing to MyPaint?
>
> A: If you want your contribution to go into the official MyPaint
> distribution, you need to pick a license:
>
> 1. All program code and supplemental data files should be GPLv2[1] or
> LGPL. This includes program icons and artwork for display within the
> program.
>
> 2. Supplemental artworks and promotional material included in the
> distribution should be CC-Zero, CC-By, or CC-By-SA, version 3 [2].
>
> 3. Elements which are highly likely to be reused by artists in the
> creation of new works[3], e.g. bundled brushes[4] or background texture
> images, should be licensed as CC-Zero or Public Domain. You'll get
> attribution in the official distribution, of course :)
>
> DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL * DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL * DRAFT NOT OFFICIAL
> --------------------------->8-------------------------------
>
> Please pick apart point by point. The final tone should be friendly and
> not too lawyery :)

I agree. However, point 1. should be GPLv2+ / LGPLv2+ (that is, the
license must have the " or (at your option) any later version." clause
intact).
This is the license used for existing code, and allows downstream
recipients to chose under which version of license they want to
distribute the work, and allow us to move to GPLv3+, if we would like
to.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com