On 9 October 2011 12:39, Mihai Cozma <mihai.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
Hi!
> While I'm quite happy with my linux installation where I can use the latest
> version of my paint, the wacom support for their tablets in linux is quite
> poor. Another issue is that I have to reboot my machine from Windows into
> linux every time I want to paint something, then switch back for other
> tasks.
>
> Yesterday I've tried to use a linux virtual machine on Windows (both with
> Oracle Virtualbox and vmWare Player), and I had basically no 2D acceleration
> and when I've tried to enable the tablet device on them, one crashed and the
> other made no difference between the tablet and a simple mouse.
> All of this kind of points out that I should stick to Windows where Wacom
> support is best and where I do all my other stuff (programming, playing
> games, etc) except painting.However, because of some Gtk issues (which
> should be a portable library), the latest development version of MyPaint is
> not available on Windows and hasn't been for quite a while now. I also heard
> that the build on Mac OS has some issues too.
> Question is: is there any future for MyPaint on other platforms than linux?
The latest stable version of MyPaint works pretty OK on Windows does
it not? I don't think it is a requirement that the development version
is available for end-users on all platforms. We currently have a
problem that we don't release stable versions often enough (in my
opinion), but that is not platform specific.

> The way I see it, there are two solutions to this problem:
> 1. Switch to other library from GTK, one which works better on all target
> platforms.
> 2. Completely separate the GUI layer from the engine (which I think it is
> already happening) and use/maintain platform specific implementations for
> the GUI, that would assure maximum compatibility with their specific
> platform.
> What do you think about it?
You are missing one obvious solution: Fix GTK+, at least the parts
that MyPaint cares about.

In any case, I think you are missing the point. The problem with non
GNU/Linux platforms and MyPaint is not the UI toolkit used. The
problem is that there is very little developer activity on getting it
to work well on those platforms. Switching to a different toolkit or
creating platform specific UIs will not solve that problem (the latter
would just make it worse).
We simply need more people working on MyPaint+Windows and MyPaint+OSX.
You care about MyPaint+Windows and do programming. Are you in?

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com