2011/11/7 dimitris chloupis <theki...@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Απο: Jon Nordby <jono...@gmail.com>
>> We will port to PyGObject and GTK3. PyGObject + GTK introspection
>> bindings are in many cases very similar to pyGTK, so it will not be a
>> complete rewrite, but small changes will be required all over the code
>> base. This will probably happen after 1.0 is out, which should be
>> pretty soon.
>
> Thats a great amazing move and I fully support it but there are 2 things
> bugging me
>
> 1) The "soon" part. How exactly "very similar" is the porting really , sure
> I could help with the port too, but I have my doubts here that will be that
> easy.
Soon referred to how quickly we can start. How quickly we can complete
depends mostly on how much people work on it ;)
It will definitely be much easier than writing a new UI, or writing
the same UI in another toolkit. It is still GTK+, and basically all
widgets work in the same way as before. Changes are mostly in syntax,
and a script exist to take care of those changes. Of course some
things that were deprecated have been removed (but I don't think we
are affected by that), and some things are now slightly different.
It will not be very hard, but it is of course still a significant
amount of work.

> 2) And this is the MOST important, can we really be sure that GTK3 will work
> stabily on macos ? GUIs on macos have always being an issue, because Apple
> has provided such a very good gui that people prefer to use objective c and
> now with the ability to port easily to iOS , its quite rare to find a mac
> app that does not use native libraries.  So many GUIs on macos are very
> neglected and that is a big understatement ;)
No, we have zero guarantees. But the only way to find out how well it
works, and if it is good enough is to try.

>> We would love help with MyPaint, especially on OSX. There is some
>> effort going on on providing a MyPaint.app, and this alone would be a
>> big step forward for MyPaint on this platform. Once we are ready to
>> start GTK3 porting work you can help out a lot there. "
>
> The build you provide in the website does not even run. It complain ,
> fairly, but missing python. I would love to help but I am clueless of
> objective C and C in general and compilers of course.
Yes, another contributor found the same and seems to be working on
fixing it. UnconventionalT_ on irc.
Maybe talk to him if you want to help out. Just testing it on a
different machine might be useful.

--
Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com