Bah, annoying person :-p

TBH, when I think on it, it'd probably not even work, because the env
variable you need to set is that of the client, not the server.

I suppose the simplest way of doing this would be to write a wrapper script
around the mysql client that sets the editor. On a per-user base, you could
have the wrapper check wether another env var, say MYSQL_EDITOR is set, and
use that to set EDITOR.

Can also be done with a command alias, but those won't work if a user or
script specifies the full path name of the command.