I am going to violate a principle and burn up some bandwith here
to say samething that most people probably feel about this post.

BRAVO VAN, for summarizing this situation cogently, and fairly.
With this kind of measured observation, the statement that Microsoft
software sucks does not embody a flame, but probably a fact...
Outlook users (you use Lusers, heh) have a responsibility to
not cause harm to others because of its deficiencies, just as
a driver of a car with poorly designed brakes has a social
responsibility
to drive very carefully and slowly.  Better metaphors probably exist
for this "situation".

_jef
=================

Van wrote:

> tj marlin wrote:
> >
> > This virus is becoming wide spread. It appears to use a machine's address
> > book and mail itself to the members of the address book. i've received mail
> > with the virus from a number of people, in addition to receiving it from
> > this list.
> >

> And, I have a bunch of stranger's confidential files in my inbox.  And, a bunch
> of haxed IIS servers bludgeoned my Apache server's bandwidth last week.  See the
> light, or go pay for and play with M$AccessXP.
>
> These clueless are not contributing in a useful way, if they're allowing their
> machines to do this to the MySQL mailing list.  There're 2MM users in this
> community.  These users have grown to expect/have contributed useful information
> that flows through here, which is part of the legacy that's made MySQL AB the
> success it is.  In 5 years, I've never had to deal with this level of crap from
> Outlook Lusers on this list.
>
> Please, people; if you're going to use a mailer that allows this kind of stuff
> to propagate, keep your anti-virus software up-to-date. You have to if you've
> committed to using an OS that requires you to pay rent.  Pay your rent to the
> anti-virus mafiosos and BG, or get off the list and remove [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> from your address book.
>
> No, I'm not saying your input isn't useful, but weighing the posts Winlose
> Lusers send against USEFUL posts they send, it's a clear lose to us in the *n*x
> community when this type of crap comes from your mailers and obfuscates
> discussions with your viral drivel.  We help you more than you help us; and
> viruses are sent into our discussion forum to reward us so other talented
> innovators have to use their time to deal with it.
>
> Get lost, or behave and pick up where your OS Vendor has dropped the ball on
> security.  Pay your anti-virus vendors their rent and hold them accountable to
> the services they "promise to provide" with the exchange for that rent.  It's
> the model you've chosen. Write your check to them, send it and take the
> ownership of your machine's problems back into your own problem sphere and get
> it out of ours while we really "INNOVATE."
>
> Or, do the right thing, and tell your OS vendor they're not doing enough to
> secure your OS with the $$$ you sent them for it's restrictive licensing
> arrangement to begin with.
>
> This is ludicrous.  Where does it end?  When do we find the time to "innovate"
> when we're spending all our time solving your vendor's problems on our dime?
>
> Anyone else see the irony?  Small wonder Open Source hasn't been lucrative.
> We're solving all the problems of the money makers at our own expense.  Time we
> should look at how open we want our own model to be to clients who choose models
> of lesser openness.  I'd consider slamming the door shut on those who are truly
> infected.
>
> Sheesh!

> [...]

Justin Farnsworth
Eye Integrated Communications
321 South Evans - Suite 203
Greenville, NC 27858 | Tel: (252) 353-0722