From: Mark Matthews [mailto:mark@;mysql.com]
Sent: 30 October 2002 12:30
To: Kevin Passey
Cc: Mysql (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Errors trying to connect to MYSQL using tomcat - do I need
to ope n any ports on my firewall or is this done internally?

Kevin Passey wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have downloaded the latest rpms and added records to HOST,DB,and USER
> files in the mysql database.
>
> I am trying to access the database from a web page using a tomcat server
> running on the same machine.
>
> I get the following message : Server configuration denies access to data
> source.

The solution is to create the correct GRANTs on your MySQL database. You
need to add a grant for the username/password connecting from the host
Tomcat is running on, e.g.:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db.* to 'user'@'host' IDENTIFIED BY 'password'

Of course you should read the MySQL manual section on GRANTS to make
sure you understand what you're doing, so that you don't create a
security issue.

Also, this problem is discussed in the 'README' for the JDBC driver :)

        -Mark

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

    /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /  Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
  /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
         <___/ www.mysql.com