Jason White wrote:

I used this statement to create a table annotation.

create table annotation
(
    user_id int not null NOT NULL,
    oai_id varchar(255) NOT NULL,
    element varchar(255),
    value text,
    datestamp varchar(10),
    status enum("A", "I"),
    fulltext(value)
);

I then insterted so test data into the table so that it contains these
records.

user_id      oai_id
element                  value
    datestamp  status
   1         oai:tower:TowerMemorabilia_m_218_6     description
the database sucks                             2002-10-30 A
   1         oai:tower:TowerMemorabilia_m_176         description
    this is a test                                        2002-10-30 A
   1         oai:tower:TowerMemorabilia_m_178         description
    What is going on                                2002-10-30 A
   1         oai:tower:TowerMemorabilia_m_180         description
    this is a test the database sucks           2002-10-30 A

I then executed the query

select oai_id, value, match (value) against ('database') from annotation

This returned some match values > 0, however after I editted a few
records I ran the query again and did not get any match results > 0.  I
did not remove the term database from any of the records and therefore
expected some positive results.  In preparing this message I inserted a
new record in the table and ran the query a 3rd time. I am now see
positive match results for the expected records.

It appears that updating any record in a table causes problems.  Is
there something I can do to reindex the table and correct this?

Thanks,

Jason White
Emory University General Libraries.

My guess is that the word database is becoming a 'stop word' in your test case. You didn't say what other records you inserted that caused the match to fail, but I would guess that they contained the word 'database'.

In any case, fulltext is not tuned to work with such small tables, see the MySQL Manual for a more detailed explanation:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html

Look for the section starting with:

'Such a technique works best with large collections (in fact, it was carefully tuned this way). For very small tables, word distribution does not reflect adequately their semantic value, and this model may sometimes produce bizarre results. '

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

/ |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/ /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
/_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
<___/ www.mysql.com