On Sep 1, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Steven Battaille wrote:
> Is there anyone who can tell me if it is possible to run more than
> one instance of nagios on the same machine?

To answer your question... Yes!  It is really easy to run multiple
instances of Nagios on the same machine. :-)  A simple approach,
albeit more overhead, is to simply configure/install both Nagios and
Nagios Plugins in a different directories by passing the '--prefix=/
path/to/separate/nagios/installations'.  Each instance will than have
its own init script and apache web alias (which you could setup as
customer1.domain.com).  I think it is a great way to separate
customers instances, though you may have to do some scalability
testing to see how far you can push your hardware.

It is not as elegant as Gerhard's method
(http://people.consol.de/~lausser/nagios/more-than-one-nagios.html
) BUT it has the ability to update each individual instance of Nagios,
Nagios Plugins, and 'configuration changes' without affecting the
other instances.  Which I think is really nice.  :-)  As another
benefit.. you can give each instance owner full rights to their
instance.

We use it internally to test out different versions and combinations
of Nagios and Nagios Plugins.

::For Example::

In Nagios source directory:
./configure --with-command-group=nagcmd --prefix=/path/to/separate/
nagios/installations
make all
make install
make install-init
make install-config
make install-commandmode
make install-webconf
htpasswd -c /path/to/separate/nagios/installations/etc/htpasswd.users
nagiosadmin

In the Nagios Plugins source directory:
./configure --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios --
prefix=/path/to/separate/nagios/installations
make
make install

Good luck!

Mark Young