Sorry Kevin, I was out yesterday or I would have responded earlier.  I
don't think that's the case.  I forgot to mention it in the earlier
email, but I checked the log files of a periodic cron job that also
runs on the same server every 5 minutes, and its logs show an
uninterrupted timestamp.  In addition, I also monitor NTP through
nagios (and graph with PNP), and up until the outage, the local skew
was less then a second.

Thanks,
Andrew