May or may not be related... When testing new plugins and scripts, make sure
you're testing them as the "nagios" user the scripts will be running as when
integrated w/ Nagios.

I documented what I did for a previous employer awhile back here:
http://www.techadre.com/content/nagios-event-handler-restarting-service

Perhaps something in there may be useful.

--
Mat W.