Hi Matthew

I apologise for lecturing you, I thought you were confused over that aspect.
But certainly it is reporting the
stratum of its peer. With -v on one of our servers I get for example in part
parsing stratum from peer bf36: 2
and bf36 hex is 48950 which is the associationID of our timesource which is
stratum 2.
We only have a single timesource so I'm not sure how it deals with multiple
host strata. My guess
would be it just takes that of the asterisked timesource.

Regards

Paul Willis

On 2011/12/30, at 06:03, Paul WILLIS PSE 55499 wrote:

> Hi Matthew
>
> Its neither, its actually you not understanding what peer means. Peer is
> effectively the next time server (or servers) up the chain,
> so generally they will be different by one. To  see what peer means, type in
> ntpq, then type in peer. That will list the peers of your server and their
> strata, NOT the stratum of your server. The main usage of peers is to make
> sure you are getting time from the correct source or sources. If it is only
> showing local sources for example it indicates you have lost contact with the
> external ntp sources and are just using the hardware clock.

I understand exactly how NTP works and what a peer is.  The ntpq command I ran
is giving me the stratum of that server, not of its peers.  Are you saying that
check_ntp_peer connects to a remote server and reports on its *peers* rather
than on it?  That seems to contradict the help documentation.  How is it able
to distill the strata of several of that server's peers into a single stratum
value?

any issue.