since somebody made the mistake of cc'ing me, i actually saw this message even
though i long ago killed-by-thread the offtopic noise it's part of.  hereis:

> > What's weird is that they don't just return a 0-record NOERROR when you
> > do the follow-up A query, which would be the most logical failure mode
> > -- they return an authoritative answer of 0.0.0.1 instead.
>
> Ick. These folks really need a clue batting don't they?

this kind of outrageous behaviour has made the introduction of new RR types
almost pointless, which is in turn the reason most often cited for "just use
TXT" (as in SPF for example).  AAAA is just a current example.  some of these
boxes only handle A RR's (by redirecting folks to a proxy) and answer with
NOERROR/ANCOUNT=0, or just don't answer at all, for everything else.

> > Of course, dealing with idiot consumers on a regular basis, their tech
> > support folks insist the problem is on the user's machine and that it's
> > a bug in their v6 stack, despite Ethereal captures showing the bad DNS
> > response packets coming from their box...
>
> Argh, I can sort-of understand their way of handling it, but still, they
> should have fixed this by now, and their clear broken DNS is simply a
> real reason to avoid those hotels at all.

lack of "clear channel DNS" has also made the introduction of DNSSEC take
at least five of its thirteen years-too-long.  ultimately we'll have to make
an HTTPS transport for DNS or tunnel all of our hotel queries back to our
home networks over VPN's.  anything left in the clear is a target, not just
for phishers and identity thieves, but for startup CEO's and their VC's.

> Can somebody please sponsor a trip to any of these hotels for either two
> or both of the Pauls, that is Mockapetris or Vixie, and let THEM call
> techsupport on this!? :) At least the "eh dude, I kinda like (invented
> DNS|coded BIND) and I really do think I sort of know what I am talking
> about" discussion would be worth a "extremely priceless" rating and a
> good laugh for the coming years for most of the Ops community :)

been there, done that, trust me it wasn't even mildly amusing for anybody.
what i'm wondering now is, if a 501(c)(3) patented something that was to be
used on the internet, and granted an free/unlimited use/distribute license on
sole condition that users/distributors actually implement it correctly, then
(a) would it hold up in court, and (b) would the 501(c)(3) CEO get lynched?