I will attempt to clarify this once more...

When I wrote the policy which created this set-aside space, it was, as Bill has
said, intended as a hedge to provide minimal resources for organizations that
are unable to obtain larger IPv4 blocks through any normal mechanism (standard
allocation/assignment, transfer, market, etc.) and desperately need some space
which they can hopefully get routed to support the bare minimum IPv4
connectivity for their IPv6 environment.

I expect that if use of these blocks does become necessary, then routing them
will almost certainly be the least of the problems we face in that circumstance.

It is my sincere hope that we come to our senses and implement IPv6
sufficiently that these blocks are never needed. However, as the saying goes, I
am hoping for the best and planning for the worst. The ARIN community
overwhelmingly supported this idea at the time and that is why we set aside the
block in question.

In answer to Tore's statement, this block does not apply the standard
justification criteria and I think you would actually be quite hard pressed to
justify a /24 from this prefix. In most cases, it is expected that these would
be the IPv4 address pool for the public facing IPv4 side of a NAT64 or 464xlat
service. Most organizations probably only need one or two addresses and so
would receive a /28. It is expected that each of these addresses likely
supports several thousand customers in a service provider environment.

Owen