On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, Keith Medcalf wrote:
I don't see this as a technical problem, but one of business and ethics.
ISP X advertises/sells customers "up to 8Mbps" (as an example), but when
it comes to delivering that product, they've only guaranteed 512Kbps (if
any) because the ISP hasn't put in the infrastructure to support 8Mbps
per customer. Customer believes he/she has 8Mbps, Content provider says
we provide 8Mbps content, but ISP can (theoretically and in practice)
only deliver a fraction of that. That feels like false advertising to me.

The problem is that the consumer is too stupid to own a computer and use a
network.

The consumer purchased a product advertized as "up to 8Mbps" but really wanted "not
less than 8Mbps".

It is not false advertizing.  What was delivered is exactly what was advertized
and exactly what was purchased.

Up to includes 0. How close to 0 are you delivering on average?

-Dan